Last Updated August 25, 2015.
September is a busy month for families, but just another day in the life for those who are child-free. Here are some broad travel ideas to suit each crowd.
Virginia Beach Boardwalk
1. The Beach. The crowds have diminished and the weather is still warm enough for a dip or sunbathing, not to mention the rates begin to scale back, which means you can maybe stay a day or two longer.
2. The Mountains. Autumn foliage won’t peak in the Blue Ridge until mid-October, but if you travel ahead of time, you can scope out the perfect look-out points to watch those colors creep across the Alleghenies and into the Valley. Regardless of fall’s hues, the mountains are just plain beautiful and perfect any time of the year.
- Blue Ridge Parkway
- Shenandoah National Park | Skyline Drive
- Appalachian Trail Communities
- Clifton Forge | Hot Springs
3. Shopping. Families who have put off back-to-school shopping will find end-of-summer deals everywhere, not to mention the extra savings that outlets yield. Additionally, those in search of furniture must consider a trip to Green Front Furniture Company in Farmville.
- Potomac Mills
- Tysons Corner Center
- Williamsburg Premium Outlets
- Shopping in Historic Districts
- Antiquing in Virginia
- Shop Virginia’s Artisans
Manassas National Battlefield Park. Photo by Aliyah Dastour.
4. History. You choose your style, speed, and which period you’d like to explore. Virginia has many historical touch-points of interest, and September is a nice weather month to be out exploring.
- Black History
- Westward Migration
- Civil War
- Hands-on for Kids
- Colonial Settlement
- Natural & Science
5. Festivals and Fairs. Speaking of nice weather, get on your walking shoes for a stroll around a festival, or dust off the lawn chair for a music festival. Oh, and the State Fair of Virginia is this month!
See the events calendar for September to further round out your plans.
Clifton Forge is a hole.
the cape charles link is broken.
I would like to know where that SEGWAY tour is….need some info….(refuring to Profile picture)